13 May 2015

Ancestry.ca Victoria Day Survey

According to a survey conducted for Ancestry.ca 36% of Canadians don’t know what is celebrated on the May long weekend.

To put a positive spin on it, 64% do know and a majority of those feel it’s important to continue to celebrate Victoria Day, a number which has increased significantly since 2012.

Other findings are that almost 30 per cent of Canadians would hope to discover royalty in their own family tree and 15 per cent claim to have already found them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still remember Victoria Day as being the holiday on the closest Monday to the 24th of May, in celebration of Queen Victoria's birthday (May 24, 1819). It was also my paternal grandmother's birthday and the date my maternal grandmother passed away on so no forgetting the 24th!
I think it is important for Canada to maintain the holiday ... even though as a Canadian living in the UK I am surprised they do not have the same holiday. They have two May bank holidays. The first is I believe dating back to May Day celebrations and the latter one is called Spring Bank Holiday. They are the first and last Mondays of the month.